Thursday, May 24, 2012

Eternal Marriage: its like a good run


Just some thoughts on eternal marriage, I by no means am an expert on what is like to married or what not, but I do feel that my upbringing and what the gospel of Jesus Christ teaches, I am an expert on what an eternal celestial marriage SHOULD be.
Today I went for a wonderful run with a really amazing friend named Brooke, a friend from my local young single adult ward. We went on a three mile run through Provo, and it was amazing I had a blast. This was tough for me because ½ of the run is uphill and I have not been running uphill for about…. Ever ok? I’ll be honest and keeping it real. I don’t run uphill. So we were going uphill and the other friend with us had to stop so we did, eventually we got to a halfway point and he had to turn around and head home he was so tired and not ready for such a long run, so Brooke and I started going again, she had the most pleasant attitude the whole way, truly an angel, Christ like to a T. and then came the point where I had to slow down so she did too. Then we started running the race again then again I had a cramp and had to walk… and she slowed too… we walked and talked … then I felt better and said let’s run… I plugged in my earphones and a wonderful empowering song came on ,and I had to sprint and smile, just sublime… grinning from ear to ear… and sprinting ( I make it a point to smile while I run because people have this awful scowl each time I see them running).  THEN I noticed I was too far ahead of her, and I slowed down to wait for her... and then our finish line was in sigh about a quarter mile left, and I turned to her and said I’m tired but NO Quit., not a complete English sentence, but… NO QUIT… and I didn’t we got to the last cross walk and my body couldn’t do it… so we walked and waited for the cross walk to turn to  the little man made of white lights to appear, then I turned to her and said, lets run the rest of the way home.
To me this is a parable of how a marriage should be, we are on a run, a run back home to our heavenly father, and most of the time when we run it’s a circle from home and right back to it. On this run we have a running mate, in the case of our marriages it’s our wives or husbands.  Just like a run marriages have stages, the first 5 min or so of a run are amazing and easy, you’re just full of energy, but then hills come and you get tired but you push through them together, it will be rough and hard but you do it. Then you become tired and a spouse gets a little weary along the way, then we stop and let them catch their breath and then we continue onward. Sometimes you have to completely stop and take the time to listen to one another and their needs focusing 100% on them. THEN run again... then comes the downhill portion where you are in sync and have it pretty figured out, and then you’re coming to the close of your journey, and like my run , a powerful song appears in your life,( I like to think of this as the gospel of Christ ) and it carry’s you forward at a faster pace, and also like my run you each take turns waiting and helping each other,  it’s also filled with whimsy if you enjoy it, Brooke was a wonderful example of this,everytime there was a sprinkler near the sidewalk she would run right through it, this always made me smile.
 then… at the very end when your destination is in sight, you run to it, and make sure even if on your last stretch you need to rest, run home even if it is 10 feet run it.
As mentioned before I may not know what it is like to be married but, Christ has taught us how we should be. Listen to his words, live them, pray about them and seek his guidance he will send the Holy Spirit to manifest his will for us. Because he wants us to make it home fast or slow, he wants us home as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment